Yum! Raw Bounty Coconut Slice! The often underrated chocolate, coconut and condensed milk sweet treat. Quite often left till last in a box of Favourites – but their sweetness and sense of indulgence are not to be underestimated. If you love the coconut flavours of a bounty then my Raw Bounty Coconut Slice will hit your sweet spot.
Why are Medjool Dates so good?
Native to the Middle East, Medjool Dates have been cultivated for over 4,000 years. In Australia, Dates are one of the sweetest fruits with sugar attributing to 70% of the weight. They are higher in calories than most fruit containing about 66 calories – but, when you compare it to other not so natural sweet treats you would have to go for dates as a little sweet tooth fix. Be mindful that a snack of Medjool Dates would be one or two – not a handful.
They are however low in fat, high in fibre and potassium.
Cacao or Cocoa
So – they are similar – kind of the same but different. Raw Cacao is produced through cold pressing un-roasted cacao beans. The great thing about this process is that the living enzymes remain in the cacao and the cacao butter – the fat is removed.
Cocoa is roasted at high temperatures. It is the roasting procedure that changes the enzyme content and lowers nutritional value. Quite often cocoa is mixed with sugar to sweeten it as well.
Raw Bounty Coconut Slice Recipe
This is not a tricky recipe – just remember there are three sections (they would call them elements on Masterchef,) to this recipe, the base, centre and important chocolatey top layer
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp Cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp cocoa protein powder (optional)
- 1Tbsp coconut/cocoa spread
- 1/2 cup Medjool Dates
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup coconut/vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Raw Bounty Coconut Slice Directions
- Blend almonds in a food processor
- Add rest of ingredients and blend until crumbly
- Press into a lined tray and then put in the freezer whilst you make the centre.
- Blend cashews and coconut until smooth.
- Add rest of ingredients and blend until consistency is smooth.
- Spread on top of the base and freeze for an hour.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Mix in cocoa powder and maple syrup and mix well.
- Add more cocoa powder if you want to make top layer thicker.
- Pour on top of centre then place back in the freezer and freeze for 1-hour minimum. (Be patient – it is worth the weight – you want the top layer to set.)
Try not to eat it all at once – while it is full of great natural items it is still full of sugars! Enjoy a small piece to satisfy your sweet cravings. I even recommend that after it has set in the freezer, cut it into small portions and freezing the Raw Bounty Slice in a Tupperware container. I don’t recommend using plastic wrap on the top as it may stick to the top layer. Enjoy the coconutty goodness.
Love, Tiff x